Solaris Optics manufactures achromatic lenses (achromats) in its facilities in Poland. We produce according to customer design. We can also design achromatic lenses following client requirements.
Below we describe main features and optical parameters of achromatic lenses.
Achromats are optical elements consisting of multiple lenses made from different materials. The aim of an achromatic lens is to compensate for chromatic aberration. Typically an achromatic lens is formed of two elements, hence is called an achromatic doublet. Another typical setup is formed of three elements, hence an achromatic triplet.
An achromatic doublet grants correction of focal lengths for two wavelengths (typically red and blue light) and significantly reduces the overall chromatic aberration.
More freedom to specify the parameters allows also for correction of image quality, e.g. decrease of spherical aberration, elimination of coma and precise focal point for a single wavelength (diffraction limit).
Achromatic Lens Manufacturing
Typically an achromatic doublet consists of a crown glass and flint glass. Depending on the type, the lenses can either be bonded with
- a special optical glue, or
- air-spaced using mechanic mounting, or with
- optical contact bonding.
Solaris Optics manufactures achromats in various specifications with both convex and concave surfaces, allowing for positive and negative focal lengths.
Optical parameters of achromatic lenses
Achromats are manufactured by Solaris Optics within standard to significantly higher optical parameters. Below we list main specifications of achromatic lenses manufactured by Solaris Optics:
- substrate material: according to customer requirements
- range of diameters: from 4 to 70 mm
- diameter tolerance: ±0.1 mm (standard) to ±0.03 mm
- clear aperture: 85% – 95%
- Thickness tolerance: ±0.1 mm (standard) to ±0.05 mm
- Radius: from 2.8 to 1000 mm, typically 3 to 800 mm
- Radius tolerance: ±1 % (standard) to ±0.1%
- Centering error: 4/ 5 arcmin (standard) to 4/ 2 arcmin
- Irregularity (P-V): standard 3/-(0,5) to 3/-(0,2), 3/-(0,1) MRF
- Surface finish (Digs – Scratches): 2 x 0,2; L 1 x 0,04 (standard), to 2 x 0,016; L 1 x 0,01
- Coatings: on request
- Mounting: on request